The school is located on the site of a sheep and dairy farm established around 1883 by John Samuel White. The farm had a number of owners until, at the turn of the century, the Pearson family took ownership and named the property Kippenross. In 1911, the Pearson family moved, to what is now St Margaret’s school, taking the name Kippenross with them. Humphrey and Mercy Davy owned the farm until 1920. From the 1920s to the 1940s, the property was home to Moira Pennefather, who may have renamed the farm Ardsley. In 1946, the property was purchased by Col. Cecil Mervyn Thomas, who renamed it, Brentwood. Henry Wells Rowden was the new owner in 1962. Again the property was sold, with one owner, Mr Bowden, CBE, placing two lions at the gates to Brentwood. These lions are now proudly located at the Berwick Cenotaph.